Friday, August 13, 2010

I need an intervention.

I tend to be obsessive about new things. When Ghost Hunters started airing on SyFy, I immersed myself in the paranormal. When I discovered Stargate SG-1, I read all the slash fanfiction I could find. When The X Files produced the spinoff, The Lone Gunmen, I memorized all 13 episodes and made videos. After seeing my all-time favorite band, Def Leppard, in concert, I listened to them non-stop for months. When I do something (low carb, Weight Watchers, various fitness programs, Meatless Monday), I research it to death. I'm an over-thinker, under-achiever.

For the longest time, I was stuck in an old-school, hair metal rut. Aside from the occasional Clay Aiken CD or Titanic soundtrack, I was pretty much all glam, all the time. Then we were visiting my inlaws for Christmas one year...I want to say 2007...and my step-daughter was playing Welcome To The Black Parade by My Chemical Romance. I. Fell. In. Love. I bought their CDs for my step-daughter (and ripped them for my mp3 player) and listened to the Black Parade album constantly. That album quickly became my #1 all-time favorite album. To this day, it still beat Def Leppard's Hysteria. I'm talking, stranded on a desert island and I can only have one album to listen to for eternity #1.

MCR quickly led me to 30 Seconds To Mars. Seeing how hot and sexy Jared Leto is slamming himself up against a wall in The Kill, I was hooked. I alternated between MCR and 30STM for the next two years, declaring that I would most definitely die for either band, and give my kidneys to both Jared and Shannon Leto or Gerard and Mikey Way. Time passed and there was nothing new from either band. Then 30STM put out This Is War and I fell in love all over again. But MCR disappointed me. There is still no new album, and it's been 4 years. There are whispers that the new album is done (as in recorded but not finished) but they've lost their drummer. No reason given, but I think he had surgery on his arm a while back and his recovery may have had complications.

But I digress. Without new stuff from the band I'd die for, I turned to radio more and more. Not looking for fresh meat...just to listen to because I was too lazy to bring my Zune everywhere. For months, 98WOBX was advertising the Shinedown concert. After eight weeks of hearing the Shinedown ad, I found myself getting excited when their songs were actually played on the radio. The Sound of Madness, in particular, made my day. And soon I learned that I have always liked Shinedown - I just didn't know who they were! So Shinedown became my new obsession.

Then, I started leaving WOBX on at night, instead of my usual BBC Radio (a habit I've had since September 11, 2001). To promote the upcoming Avenged Sevenfold album, Nightmare was played a lot. The only reason I knew of A7X is because my step-daughter had some of their stuff, and I had sent her a text when their drummer died last year. Same shit, different day. I did my research and I am currently obsessed with Avenged Sevenfold. I didn't even realize I loved them. I am particularly in lust with M. Shadows, lead singer of A7X.


Sofa King sexy!!! To hear and watch him sing, I've decided that there is absolutely no way I am a lesbian. I was wondering. M. Shadows has prevented me from switching teams. I'll play for both. I don't care. I love my eye candy. And I'm a sucker for great arms and shoulders. I told Sam he had to get more tattoos. I think I like that look. 

I live in fear that each day, I'll "discover" a "new" band. How many times will I fall in love before MCR's next album comes out? How many times will I alternate between being on top of the world because the music makes me feel young and good, and being depressed that I'm 3fucking5 years old and getting too old for this shit? I certainly do not feel old. I feel better now than I did in my 20s. I don't even have any grey hair on my head, and I do NOT color my hair. I feel like I have my whole life ahead of me, then I'm reminded that I can't just be young and carefree. I have a kid and I'm halfway to 70. By the time the kid is old enough to move out, I'll be almost 3/4 of the way to 70. And who even knows if I'll live that long? My life could be 99% over right now. 

Look, in the time it took me to write this post, I went from being on top of the world to depressed! And I didn't even get a new obsession. :(

No comments: